A member of the Royal Canadian Air Cadet program is facing charges of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl in 2015, according to the RCMP in charge of investigating alleged inappropriate behaviour involving the cadets.
The girl’s parents reported the case to police in May 2018. Cadet Nathan Altieri, a member of the caretaker who is responsible for children assigned to the cadets at the organization’s national centre in Calgary, faces one count of sexual assault and two counts of sexual interference.
Cadet Altieri is a 21-year-old from Cochrane, Alberta. RCMP Sergeant Jacqueline McQuillan told the CBC that Altieri, who’s been in the cadets since 2009, knew the girl but was not her teacher. He will be back in court on June 28.
The Canadian government recently changed its Royal Canadian Air Cadet program to bar the presence of adults who previously were considered “professional staff” from having unsupervised interaction with cadets, though “those fears had not been entirely eased,” McQuillan said. Last year, the Calgary Herald reported that the government had issued a memo to all local cadet programs telling them not to “lure” the children into sexual activity and to “actively combat any offer made to any cadet.”
The Canadian government says the organization provides a valuable program for kids in their early years and have been doing everything they can to monitor the program. Officials also note that the program does not allow adults to have any contact with children under the age of 18.
In May, Canadian media reported that police in Vancouver had charged 16-year-old cadet Jacob Hashim with one count of sexual assault.
Read the full story at CBC News.
TV reporter tells scary story of tipsy son leaving gift for maid of honor to be found
A mom brings tears to viewers’ eyes by sharing story of her missing son in Pakistan
Soldier returns home 10 years after he was shot dead in Afghanistan